This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission with no extra cost to you. Learn More.
Starting Your Video Editing
Video editing as a skill is very valuable in these parts of the world.
Do you doubt the truth in this statement?
Then, the following statement will make you a believer:
The video editing software industry is a $700m business. (1)
This is due to the ever-increasing consumption of visual content on the internet.
Currently, there’s a ton of video editing apps on the internet you can use to edit music videos. Still, two major applications stand out, and there’s a massive likelihood that you’ve used or at least come across one of these apps.
What are they?
If you said Adobe Premiere, you’re right.
If you guessed iMovie, you’re also correct.
Given that these apps are the most preferred choice among many video editors, we’ll demonstrate a step-by-step guide detailing how to edit music videos with them. However, before we begin, there are certain fundamental things every editor must know before ever lifting the camera to shoot.
What’s the Purpose of Your Video?
Knowing the purpose of your video will determine what tools to use and how to approach the editing process. For example, if you’re looking to edit short clips solely for social media, you could do so with simple apps on your mobile device.
However, if your desired outcome is a professional video with all the qualities of a Hollywood blockbuster thriller, you might want to go for more advanced editing apps.
Every video, whether it’s a short, zero-cost skit on Instagram, or a $200m budget, two-hour marvel cinematic universe superhero movie, tells a story.
Upon reaching the last seconds of a video, you can tell if the creator nailed the story.
Well, a music video with a funny storyline will make you laugh. One with a sad undertone will make you dry your tear-filled handkerchief in the dryer after watching.
Now the truth is, you needn’t be a James Cameron to create a captivating, ‘OMG-that-was-freaking great’ storyline. Still, I bet you, if you’re passionate about sharing great content and take your time to reflect deeply to make a good presentation, you’ll do a pretty good job.
Consistent Audio Syncing
Have you ever watched a music video and felt like something was off? It’s most likely the inconsistency between the music and the footage. Many amateur editors make a common mistakewhen they edit music into a video to allow the background music to overshadow other sounds in the video.
When editing, you want to make sure that the font type and color you use jibe with the overall video theme. For example, a music video with large pink-colored fonts popping across the screen might seem excellent for a high school musical but might appear off-putting for a motivational video.
Now, the crux of the matter:
How to Edit a Music Video with iMovie
- Run the iMovie software on your PC and tap on ‘New project.’
- Type in the project name, choose your preferred aspect ratio, and click on create
- To select. Still, it might be a mistake when your desired video clicks the file menu and selects ‘import,’ followed by ‘movie. Then, you should see your chosen file displayed on the screen.
- Check the ‘view’ menu and ensure that you tick the box where you see the Snap to Beats option to enable its features.
- The toolbar is where you’ll find the music and sound effects option that lets you edit music into a video, click on it and pick any audio file from your folder.
- Once you’ve identified your preferred file, the next step is to insert markers. Then, proceed by dragging the music with your mouse onto the project pane.
- On the displayed music icon, right-click and select ‘Clip Trimmer.’ The icon will appear somewhere below the project bar.
- The next step requires the addition of markers. You can begin by tapping the spacebar button to play the music video and pressing M to insert markers throughout the clip. After all successful additions, you can end the process by clicking on the ‘Done’ button.
- Next, drag a media file for every marker inserted and drop it on top of the project page.
- If you’re looking to turn down the volume of the original audio embedded in the project, tap on ‘settings’ and select ‘Audio Adjustments’ to regulate the volume.
- The transition comes after and can be done to enhance the video quality further. Start by using the buttons shown on each clip to extend or shorten its length.
- Once you’re satisfied with the outcome, click ‘Share’ to wrap up and save the project.
Upon successful completion of these steps, you’d have learned how to edit music videos using some techniques in iMovie.
How to Edit a Music Video with Adobe Premiere
If you’re looking to edit a music video with adobe reader, here’s how
- Open the app and import your file. Imported video files will show in the Media Library
- When it’s time to select the pixel aspect ratio to go for the highest resolution.
Selecting a high-resolution option helps to preserve the footage quality. You don’t want to lose the crispness of a high-quality video because of size. Preventing ‘Video Resampling’ in your software is another good option to preserve your video quality.
- With all project files in the media library, start by first dragging the audio file into the project timeline before placing the rest of the media files.
- Arrange them sequentially to create a real and logical storyline.
- To begin trimming the shots in the timeline, activate the selection tool by clicking ‘V’ and drag the clips across the screen with the bracket and arrow icon.
- Alternatively, you can use the razor tool to select moments inside the video clip by tapping anywhere in the timeline to start and stop. The demarcation made by the razor-sharp tool can then be deleted.
- If you want to add a video clip without audio, open it up in the source monitor (the left side of the premiere interface) and use the razor tool to cut out a preferred clip.
- After cutting out the clip, scroll down and click the ‘video only’ option, then drag the clip and position it, so it sits atop the audio file at the exact time frame.
- Once you’re done, wrap up by Clicking on the File menu, followed by export and then media.
- Click on the format and select H.624 for a balanced compression. Then select the output name and export.
Indeed, you can use iMovie to edit music videos on an iPhone. Although the app slightly varies on different devices, there are more similarities than differences in the interface.
Adobe Premiere is not free, but it does come with a 7-day trial period.
It’s amazing how many music stars rose to prominence through edited videos on social media.
Learning how to edit a music video doesn’t have to be difficult, considering the abundance of information on the internet.
What’s your favorite editing app? Do you have any nifty tricks to make a DIY edited footage look even more professional? We’d like to hear your thoughts in the comments section.
- Technology and Telecommunications. Software. Video editing software market size worldwide 2018 and 2025. Retrieved from http://www.statista.com/statistics/1085925/worldwide-video-editing-software-market/