This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission with no extra cost to you. Learn More.
Steps to Decrease a Video’s Size
Since Apple is constantly utilizing the latest technology to improve the video capabilities of their devices, which in turn improves the video quality of users. For example, newer iPhone models can now shoot videos at 4K resolution and high frame rate of 60fps. That has resulted in videos now having larger sizes that take up more space than before. (1)
Hence the need to learn these steps. Here are a few steps to reducing a video’s size.
Let’s begin in earnest.
Use Video Compress
Unarguably one of the best apps for decreasing a video’s size, video compress is the number one go-to app for users with cramped phone memory.
What makes this app stand out is that it’s free. Though, it has some in-app purchases that cost about $2.00 for upgraded features that allows you to cut down a video’s size without limit.
Here’s how to compress a video on iPhone with video compress.
- Download the app from the iOS store and begin the installation process.
- Once the installation process is complete and you open the app, you’ll be greeted with a big ‘+’ icon.
- As expected, the app will request administrative permission. Tap Ok, and then proceed to select from a catalog of videos.
If you want to speed up the process, you can long-press a video for two seconds, then tap on other videos for a collective size reduction.
- The next step is to choose from an array of options to determine the resulting video quality.
Depending on how badly you need to make room on your device, you
can decide to select Full HD with minimal alteration to your video quality or 360P for a slight video clarity decrease.
What if this reduces my video resolution to an old 90s brick game, you might ask?
Okay, chill for a moment.
You’re using an iPhone, and every iOS app in the apple store is built to give a stellar performance. So even though you select the lowest resolution possible, your video would still come out looking crisp and Instagram-worthy.
- After your resolution selection, select the folder you want to save your new video into and click ‘add new album.’
- The compression process should begin once you’ve selected a folder, and depending on the size and number of videos chosen, the process can take anything from 30 seconds to a few minutes.
- Upon complete execution, you’ll receive a notification asking whether to retain the original video. And your response to this should be, ‘out with the old in with the new.’
If you’ve successfully done that, you’ve learned one of the ways on how to compress a video on an iPhone for free.
Now, unto the next.
Also read: How to Crop a Video on iPhone
Use Media Converter
Media converter is another viable option for folks still wondering how to compress a video taken on iPhone.
How it works.
You must have come across various video formats while surfing the net—formats such as avi, mp4, mkv, etc.
Now it gets interesting.
When converted from one format to another, a video will retain most of its quality even though its largeness reduces.
Consequently, you can do a format conversion on your clogged mobile device.
So these are the steps on how to compress a video taken on iPhone with a media converter.
- Get the media converter app from the iOS store and complete the installation procedure.
- Click the (+) button at the top of your mobile device.
- Grant the app access request to your media folder.
- Select a video whose format you’d like to change, then tap convert.
- After tapping convert, you’ll see a list of formats you can change your video into. Make your preference alongside other modifications and hit the ‘start conversion’ button to begin.
- When it’s done, the converted video will be displayed and automatically saved to your gallery.
Another fave app among apple users is the iMovie app. It’s been around for a while and has gained massive popularity.
A quick youtube search on how to compress a video with iMovie on iPhone will reveal many tutorials detailing the ins and outs of decreasing a video’s size with iMovie.
The video editing app has numerous beneficial features. However, it’s the compression element that makes it vital for iPhone users with low phone memory.
Here’s how to begin
- If you don’t have the iMovie app, head over to the iOS store, download and install it on your mobile device.
- When you open the app, you should see the ‘new project’ display screen.
- Click on the plus (+) button to commence your project, after which a pop-up will display two options: ‘movie’ or ‘trailer.’ Click on ‘movie.’
- Tapping on the movie icon will take you into the media folder, where you can select video among other subfolders.
- Upon clicking on the video folder, you’ll see all your recorded videos on the screen’s right-hand side. Choose the video you want and click the ok button to import your video onto the project screen.
In the video folder, there are left and right yellow bars, which, when slid across the screen, trim the video, ultimately reducing its size.
- Having selected the video you want, click on ‘done,’ then select the share button—the icon with a vertical arrow in a box.
- Finally, scroll down the display menu and click on save the video. Then click choose from the different resolution options and wait until the video compresses.
Once that’s done, you would have completed your first rodeo on how to compress a video with iMovie on iPhone.
Also read: How to Speed up a Video
Use an Online Compressor
Every iPhone user has the liberty to utilize online tools for video compression.
The process is simple, straightforward, and works quite as well as other downloadable conversion apps.
All you need to do is upload your file onto the web video converter and select the appropriate resolution.
However, most online compressors have a caveat.
Most online sites will leave a watermark on your video after conversion. While this is no biggie when sharing on social media, it can raise concerns if you upload such videos to a professional site.
Yes, the iMovie app on the iOS store is completely free. In addition, there are several other options to know how to compress a video on iPhone for free.
Another quick option to free up space on your mobile device is to transfer heavier files to your MacBook or Windows. Alternatively, you can simply upload your videos to cloud storage to be retrieved whenever you like.
There you have it, a short, albeit helpful, list of how to compress a video on an iPhone.
What do you think?
Are there any other smart apps out there that should grace this list?
As an iPhone user, do you think iMovie is worth the great reviews?
You’re welcome to share your thoughts in the comments section.
- Apple exec: Here’s why iPhones have so little storage space. Retrieved from https://www.businessinsider.com/phil-schiller-on-low-iphone-storage-capacity-2015-6?r=US&IR=T